Friday, January 8, 2010

Africam Safari

Hey all!

Well, it's my turn for the blog - let's see how I do.

One weekend in November, I had the oppurtunity to go on a stake Young Women's one-night camping trip.  I was mildly surprised: Puebla is a huge city with a very small amount of wide-open spaces.  Where on earth could we camp?  It turned out that about forty-five minutes away from Puebla is a sort of drive-through zoo called Africam Safari.  The zoo had a sort of campground for big group camping trips complete with a series of army-like tents filled with rows of cots; working showers and bathrooms; a fire pit; and mess hall.  During our stay at the zoo, we got to sing songs, tour the smallish walking section of the zoo, ride a zipline, roast marshmallows, and take a bus tour of the main attractions in the zoo.  I didn't really understand too much of what was going on, but there's a girl in our stake from California who's been here in Puebla for 1 1/2 years and will be here for 1 1/2 years more.  Her name is Jenny, she's 16 years old, and probably one of my best friends here in Mexico (mainly because she's one of the few people I can really communicate with). 


This is my group.  I don't really know the names of all the girls, but the girl kneeling next to me in the front is Jenny.



This is a fun picture.  We visited the place where the animals' food is prepared, and the girls who wanted to got to chop up frozen dead mice.  It was pretty sick.


In the food-preparation-center was a refrigerator that smelled awful - probably because this was what was being stored inside it. 


Speaking of food, I got to feed the cutest little wallaby (as you can see from this picture).  That was sweet.



A fun little kangaroo in the same area as the wallabies.



This was a fun zipline, but you had to get a good running start because it wasn't too steep.  Quite a few of the girls got stuck at the end.  Fortunately, I wasn't one of them.

 
Hahaha, we're about to be cooked and eaten, and we just stand there smiling.  :)  The girl in the pot with me, by the way, is Angie, Sr. Munoz's second daughter.



This was cool.  There was a pond, in the middle of which were two islands, connected by a single cable.  The monkeys would go from one island to the other by climbing nimbly across the cable.  It was hard to get a picture of it because they would move so quickly.

Well, now, there's my entry.  Now Mom can start adding more posts and satisfy your desire for more.  Sorry I took so long in writing it.  :)

~Elena~

4 comments:

  1. Great post, Elena! Such a different experience for camping. It looks like it was fun though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun!! Looks like you're doing alright down in Mexico! Great adventures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The boys were totally grossed out with the chopping of the mice! Good post. I still want to see more More MORE! You have skipped Christmas and I want to hear and see about your adventures at Christmastime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't skipped Christmas, I'm just totally behind. I still haven't done Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete